[sane-devel] snapscan e40 (usb) problem

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz at gmx.de
Sat Mar 2 10:15:51 GMT 2002

Hi,

>  - when a device is explicitly given:
> # xsane snapscan:/dev/usbscanner
> I get the error:
> 'Failed to open device 'snapscan:/dev/usbscanner'; Invalid argument.'

Try to set SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 before and mail me the output.

> # ls -l /dev/ | grep scanner
> crw-------    1 root     scanner  180,  48 May 21  2001 usbscanner
> # ls -l /dev/usb/ | grep scanner
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     scanner        15 Feb 28 18:30 scanner0 ->
> /dev/usbscanner

This is fine, but will restrict scanner access to root (do "chmod g+rw
/dev/usbscanner" to allow access for members of the scanner group).

> /dev/usbscanner
> usb 0x06bd 0x208d
> firmware /usr/bin/Snape40.bin

You should delete the entry "usb 0x06bd 0x208d". The snapscan backend
currently doesn't implement this sort of auto-recognition (but it's planned
for the future). You don't need to recompile.

Regards,

Oliver