[sane-devel] SCSI: error during device I/O

Ray Curtis ray at ccux.com
Sun Mar 10 16:54:39 GMT 2002

>>>>> "pk" == Peter Kirchgessner <peter at kirchgessner.net> writes:

    pk> Hi Doug,
    pk> from other replies and having a more detailed look at the error reports
    pk> the problem what I was looking for seems to be related to some special
    pk> Buslogic SCSI cards and 2.4.x kernels. The scanners (HP) worked well
    pk> under 2.2.x, but not with 2.4.x. I am not quite sure which version of
    pk> SANE was used.
    pk> Currently the only advice I can give is trying to use a different SCSI card.

    pk> --Peter

Yes, I had contacted Leonard N. Zubkoff about this problem about a
month ago and he said he would look into it.
I hate to bother him again with the question, but it does appear that
the problem is the buslogic driver has a problem.

    pk> Douglas Gilbert wrote:

    >> Peter Kirchgessner wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> some time ago problems have been reported with some 2.4.x kernels and
    >>> SCSI-devices. What was working with 2.2.x, failed there with an "error
    >>> during device I/O". The problem seemed to be a broken handling of
    >>> SCSI-requests in the kernel (from mailing list: kernels 2.4.6, 2.4.10,
    >>> 2.4.12 and 2.4.13).
    >>> Does anybody know if the problem has been fixed ? And if so, at which
    >>> kernel ? The ChangeLogs don't tell me much.
    >>

    >> Peter,
    >> If the error from the sg driver is actually EIO then it
    >> indicates that the version 2 sg interface (based on the
    >> sg_header struct) is being used. One shortcoming of this
    >> interface was the difficulty of overcoming the default
    >> assumption of a SCSI command size based on its opcode
    >> (first byte). The SANE Canon backend was tripped up
    >> by that and supplied a patch to the sg driver. That patch
    >> probably hasn't worked (i.e. breaks when being applied)
    >> since lk 2.2.6 (over 3 years ago). The original sg driver
    >> (version 1) yielded EIO for just about every error it
    >> encountered!
    >>
    >> Any recent SANE backend driver should be using the sanei
    >> layer which on a linux 2.4 series kernel will be using
    >> the sg version 3 interface. In this case EIO should not
    >> occur.
    >>
    >> Doug Gilbert

    pk> --
    pk> Peter Kirchgessner