[sane-devel] CanoScan N650U

nathan rutman nathan at gordian.com
Fri Mar 22 17:49:39 GMT 2002

> I'm new to the list so please bear with me.
>
> I have a CanoScan N650U scanner that I'd like to use with my RH7.1
> system. It appears that it is not currently supported.  Is anybody else
> thinking about writing a back end for this device?
>
> I'm not really clear on how SANE interacts with the kernel modules
> usbcore, usb-uhci and scanner. Does SANE replace scanner? Perhaps ther
> is no relationship at all. Can someone attempt to explain this to me or
> point me to some documentation that might help.

scanner.c ("scanner" module) provides low-level read and write to a USB
scanner.  SANE backends may or may not use this interface - older ones
use libusb instead.  SANE itself isn't required either - it just
provides a common interface to some popular graphics programs (like
GIMP).

The best thing to do to get started is to figure out what your
"scanner-on-a-chip" chip is: LM9830, 9831, 9832, etc.
There probably exists a SANE driver for that chip that you could tweak.
LM9830 + GL640 ->  http://sourceforge.net/projects/canon-fb630u/
LM9831-3 (= LM983x) -> SANE plustek driver