[sane-devel] Re: net backend problems

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Mar 24 21:56:36 GMT 2002

(cc: to Oliver because of possible xsane problem mentioned below)

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 11:01:57AM +0100, mh wrote:
> While you're working on the net backend, could you please take a look at the
> following problem ? It was introduced by a patch to solve the endianness
> problems, which I send to the list last year and which you applied, after no
> one complaint.
>
> This code will blow up, if e.g. a frontend requests only one byte or if
> calling read() (in sane_read()) results in nread == 1.
> In this case, the frontend/net backend will hang forever.
>
> If you don't have a better solution already, please review the attached
> patch.

Thanks. I have just committed the patch to CVS. I removed the debug
stuff and adjusted indenting a little.

I couldn't test with xsane because it doesn't seem to like 1-bit
transfers with 16 bit per color data. I hope this is not a backend bug
:-/ I just added "max_len=1" to the sane_read function of a backend
(mustek.c). The scanner starts and xsane gets an image but it is
completely empty (0 lines, 0 bytes). If I set max_len to 2 (or bigger)
it works.

Testing with scanimage works.