[sane-devel] Xsane notes

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia@nic.funet.fi
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:05:51 +0200

I have xsane 0.84, and here goes:    :-)

Feature suggestion: Saving of settings with a given project name;
all settings are saved, including the preview settings and the preview
image. That is, the preview image and the associated scanarea must be
saved. (Project save/load perhaps?)

Feature suggestion:
Are the gamma/look-up tables (of some scanners) as wide as the
internal precision? If a scanner has greater internal precision
but only 8-bit output precision, then I guess the look-up tables
could be used for dynamic compression for the 8-bit transfer.
The full precision would then be recovered in driver or in
application. One would have to scan a preview, compute the
look-up tables, and do the final scan with the computed look-up
tables. If also enchangements are done, they are also incorporated
 to the look-up tables.

Bug: Gamma etc. settings were autoadjusted after acquiring the preview
even I had unchecked "Autoenchange gamma" and "Autocorrect colors"
Setup-options.

Bug: In "Save" scanning mode, with Type "PNM", with filename "123.pnm",
the saved file is named as "123.pnm.pnm" instead of the correct "123.pnm".

I would also point out that gqview, a good image viewer, cannot
load the pnm files produced by xsane. The following image is show
incorrectly as of the size 14x96.
 P5
 # XSane settings:
 #  resolution_x =  200.0