[sane-devel] libraries included in the DLL -meta backend

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:38:12 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 02:54:10PM +0800, ' ' wrote:
> Is there any libraries statically linked to the DLL - meta backend?

If you use shared libraries (the default), no libs should be linked to
libsane-dll statically. The configure script prints all libs that are
linked to the backends (LIBS=...).

> Were planning to embed Sane but we have a concern on the file size.
> Would it possible to strip some of the libraries?
> I have seen IJPEG,
> and our design as of the moment don't use this library ,how can we
> strip this part.

If the library isn't installed on the system, it isn't used. Backends
that don't use libjpeg are disabled in this case.

If it is installed, change the configure.in file to not detect the
libraries you don't want. Maybe commenting out SANE_CHECK_JPEG and
running autoconf is enough.

> What are other possible ways to decrease the size
> of the DLL (meta backend).

Is the file size of dll really a problem? It's only 95 kb. It's one of
the smallest SANE libraries. Or are you talking about the filesize of all
the backends together?

> Say for example we wanted to support only
> the Sane net, how can we strip some libraries no longer, and what are
> those libraries.

./configure --help

especially:

./configure --disable-local-backends

Generally speaking, disable all backends you don't need in
backend/Makefile.in.

If you only need one backend, you can also link the frontend of your
choice directly to it (without the dll backend).

Apart from the jpeg lib, you won't need libusb if you don't use USB
scanners or use the kernel scanner driver.

The other libs depend on the system you use.