[sane-devel] [BUG] wrong headers in sane-backends/doc/*.man

Sergey Vlasov vsu@altlinux.ru
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:18:35 +0300

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:13:11 +0100
Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de> wrote:

> > sane-umax1220u.man (.IX sane-umax)
>
> Probably also a copy'n'paste mistake. How did you find out about that
> one, i.e. where is .IX (index?) used?

Apparently it is not used anywhere (and I'm not sure if it is defined at
all - it is defined in groff -ms and -mm, but not in -man).  I just
looked into the *.man files (BTW, not all of them have .IX).

Also, there is another problem: according to my man(7) documentation,
the NAME section in all *.man files is wrong. Here is the relevant part
of man(7):

               ...  The only  required  heading  is  NAME,  which
       should  be  the  first section and be followed on the next
       line by a one line description of the program:

              .SH NAME
              chess \- the game of chess

       It is extremely important that this  format  is  followed,
       and that there is a backslash before the single dash which
       follows the command name.  This  syntax  is  used  by  the
       makewhatis(8) or mandb(8) programs to create a database of
       short command descriptions for  the  whatis(1)  and  apro-
       pos(1) commands.

Our *.man files don't have a backslash in this place.