[sane-devel] Scanner Basics

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:23:20 -0500

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 01:55:41PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
[ ... ]
> Hi Karl, I find to get scanner into the kernel I must have something in=
=20
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, and that something can include the vendor and=20
> product. If you can tell me how to load the scanner module alone some=20
> other way I'm listening. I could read=20
> /usr/src/linux/documentation/modules again but I'm tired of all that=20
> today...:-)

Put a line like this into the file /etc/hotplug/usb.distmap. The second num=
eric
argument is the vendor ID, the third is the product ID. The whole thing is
one line. It's probably easier to just copy one line that starts with the
driver name "scanner" and duplicate it, and then modify the vendor and
product IDs.=20
scanner              0x0003 0x04b8   0x010f    0x0000       0x0000       0x=
00         0x00            0x00            0x00            0x00            =
0x00            0x00000000

Red Hat 8.0 does have hotplug support, as does SuSE 8.x. I would assume
that pretty much all modern Linux distributions also come with hotplug
enabled.

Karl Heinz
--=20
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net