[sane-devel] USB scanner paper

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 00:15:13 +0100

Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>	Hi Gang, this is expected to work with the Linux systems
>defined. If you see errors please note them to me.
>

>		Recipe for Setting Up a Scanner using USB
>				Karl Larsen
>			     November 17, 2002
>
>	If the scanner you have has a USB cable that plugs into the
>computer, and if your computer has a plug for it to plug into, this paper
>will tell you how to make certain that the software called Sane on your
>Linux operating system can find and use your scanner.
>
>	First your Linux. It should have at least a 2.4.8 kernel and among
>other things should have the scanner module compiled and ready for use.

If I remember correctly, kernel 2.4.12 contains an important update to the
scanner kernel module. It adds support for scanners that use USB control
transfers. So it may be better to recommend kernel 2.4.12 or higher.

<snip>

>	To load the module with the scanner numbers in place we use modprobe
>and we must be in an xterm window as root. To do this type su - and when it
>asks for your password type that in. You will see the prompt turn to # and
>you will be in the /root directory. Now type in the following:
>
>	modprobe vendor=0x04b8 product=0x010f

I think this should be
modprobe scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x010f

>but instead of my numbers put in your scanners numbers. It should take a
>second to do it's job and then stop without any error messages. If you get
>an error message you didn't type it in right.

Regards,
Bertrik