[sane-devel] About Gt6801 scanner

Sergey Vlasov vsu@altlinux.ru
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:39:10 +0300

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:29:22 +0800
"Dan" <dan_fancn@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Now I am trying to develop driver for Gt6801 chip scanner. But I have
> not Gt6801 chip specification, So i don't know how backend communicate
> with scanner. Who has documents about this?

One such driver already exists - the gt68xx backend (already in the SANE
CVS); its home page is at http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx/ .

The home page has a reference to some chip documentation, but the GT6801
"document" is useless.  The GT6816 file has a register-level description
of the chip, but there is no protocol description - the protocol is
handled by the firmware, which is dowloaded from the computer (there
should be a firmware file with the Windows driver).

Looks like most GT6801-based and GT6816-based scanners use similar
command sets (probably because the firmware is based on the same code
from Grandtech) - because of this, many different scanners are supported
by the same backend.  However, it is possible that some scanners may
have a completely different command set - it all depends on the
firmware.

What scanner do you want to control (give the exact manufacturer and
model name)?  Did you try the existing drivers?