[sane-devel] SANE vs. Epson backends

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel@graphics-muse.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:47:28 -0600 (CST)

Thus spoke Henning Meier-Geinitz
> Then you didn't use the SANE backend, because the SANE epson backend
> does not support that scanner. Unfortunaly, the backend made by Epson
> is also called "epson".

Okay, now I'm confused here.  I have both SANE and iscan installed.  If I
add the appropriate device to the epson.conf file, QuiteInsane and XSane
find the scanner.  If I add it to plustek instead, neither finds the scanner.

The scanner is an Epson Perfection 1260.

Does this mean that all my front ends are using the ImageScan backend then?

Is there a way to (at least temporarily) switch between the ImageScan backend
and the official SANE Epson (re: Plustek) backend?  I need to do this in order
to do some comparisons for an article I'm writing.  I want to make sure I'm
looking at the right thing for each frontend I review.  Is the SANE backend
preferrable to the ImageScan backend?  If so, what are the reasons for the
preference?

PS:
I just noticed that libsane-epson.so is a symlink to libsane-epsonkw.so.1.0.6.
Maybe if I just moved the libsane-epson* files out of /usr/lib/sane, that
would force the front ends to use the plustek driver instead - yes?

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |    A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.