[sane-devel] how to run xsane as normal user?

Sun, 24 Nov 2002 18:39:14 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 05:59:03PM +0100, Mertens Bram wrote:
> I have configured xsane but I am at the moment unable to run it as
> normal user.

You mean that your scanner is not detected if you run xsane as normal
user?

> I have read several messages in the archives and I suppose I have to
> edit the permissions of /dev/sg*.

No. /dev/sg* are the generic SCSI devices. But you are using a
parallel port scanner. See man sane-mustek_pp, the backend must be run
as root.

One workaround is to use saned, the SANE network daemon. Set it up to
run as root, then the frontends can be run as normal user. See man
saned and http://www.penguin-breeder.org/?page=sane-net.