[sane-devel] Re: Darwin/MacOSX

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:14:03 -0500

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 08:18:12PM +0100, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
>=20
> > If you think your version is dynamically loading those dylibs, and you=
=20
> > do not have dlcompat installed, you are wrong (sorry), I think you will=
=20
> > probably find (use otool -L) that they are all linked into the=20
> > library/app, or you are magically linking against libdl.0.dylib=20
> > somewhere.
>=20
> The filesize of the application or libsane.1.0.9.dylib will be a clue,
> too :-)
>=20

Not necessarily... I only turned on the epson and test backend in the
Makefile, which does not bloat libsane.dylib a lot. otool -L did however
not help. It only lists the dynamic libraries that are actually linked,
and not libraries that are either loaded at runtime, or statically linked.=
=20

I used ktrace to trace all systemcalls and found out that only libsane.dylib
got loaded. Then I used nm to inspect this library and found all the symbols
from the test and epson backends. So my backends were statically linked into
libsane.dylib. ... and I finally understand why we need dlcompat, or at=20
least the wrapper from dlfcn_simple.c (part of dlcompat).=20

Now things make sense again.=20

Karl Heinz

--=20
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net