[sane-devel] Can't activate transparency unit on Epson Perfection 2450

Graham Hughes graham@sigwinch.org
01 Oct 2002 23:11:28 -0700

mostang.com seemed to imply this was the right place to ask.

So I got my brand new 2450 today, and have been able to make it scan
images pretty well.  But I bought it for scanning film negatives, which
requires that the transparency unit get lit up, etc.  Every time I try
to use --source 'Transparency Unit', say with the following command
line, which basically worked for someone else on this list:

$ scanimage --focus-position 'Focus 2.5mm above glass' --source
'Transparency Unit' --film-type 'Negative Film' --brightnexx 0 -x 26mm
-y 38mm -l 7mm -t 40.5mm --resolution 300 --mode Color --depth 16
--format tiff > bw.tiff
scanimage: attempted to set inactive option source

Winnowing reveals that --source and --film-type are both inactive and
nothing I can do seems to make them active.

scanimage -L claims that it's a GT-9700, which is a lie but there seems
to have been some trouble reported earlier on this list with the
Firewire interface in which this scanner will call itself a GT-9700.

sane-backends 1.0.8 and 1.0.9-pre1 on Debian sid.  Kernel 2.4.19 if it
matters, but since I can get some images out it seems like it shouldn't.

I'm sure there's some command to tell sane to let me do this, but I
haven't been able to find it myself through google.

Oh, and the relevant line from my /etc/sane.d/epson.conf:
usb /dev/usb/scanner0

and I have

options scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x0112

in my /etc/modules.conf.
--
Graham Hughes <graham@sigwinch.org>
(defun whee (n e) (subseq (let ((c (cons e e))) (nconc c c)) 0 n))