[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1660 photo -> Driver(s)

Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:59:35 +0200

Hi,

[CCed to sane-devel]

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 11:55:56AM +1200, John Williams wrote:
> I can now get this scanner to function by becoming Root, changing to /sbin
> and running "modprobe scanner vendor=0x048b product=0x011e".
> Then the error message does not appear, the scanner scans documents and
> pictures very well indeed but transparencies do not have the correct colours
> (muddy greens mostly yet. I'm sure there is something there I have not
> learned. One step at a time is OK!

That's something the Epson experts may be able to answer.

> I wish I could set the "modprobe" line somewhere so I do not have to do this
> every time I need to scan something.
> I appreciate your help, thanks. John.

That's a bit depending on your distribution. You can put "options
scanner vendor=0x048b product=0x011e" in /etc/modules.conf to avoid
entering the option numbers every time. For autoloading the driver,
you can put "scanner" in /etc/modules (Debian) or "modprobe scanner"
in a start-up file like boot.local in /etc/init.d. If you use hotplug
utilities you will need to add the vendor and device ids to its list
so the scanner module is loaded automatically. But I don't know
details about this way.