[sane-devel] Permission denied on parallel port Epson Expression636

Greg Weeks greg@durendal.org
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 13:18:41 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Petr Hlustik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got my hands on the Epson Expression636 which comes with both SCSI and
> parallel ports. W/o SCSI on my RedHat8 box, I tried the parallel
> port. Scanning works if I'm root (Yes!!) but not as a regular user. This my

I noticed this too. I'm assuming the backend does direct port reads and
writes to the address you give it. It would not be able to use the lp
driver, but I thought it should be able to use parport. I didn't spend any
time looking at the code once I got it working as root.

--
Greg Weeks
http://durendal.org/greg/