[sane-devel] Several comments on Canon N670U support

Jaeger, Gerhard gerhard@gjaeger.de
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:55:20 +0200

Hi Theodore,

thanks for the feedback, here are some comments:

On Friday, 4. October 2002 06:51, kilgota@khayyam.math.auburn.edu wrote:
[SNIP]
> 3. The zoom features work; I can scan any small rectangular area of the
> image which I choose, but the brightness and contrast need to be adjusted
> drastically afterwards, in order to get an image which looks like the
> original. Scanning a small rectangular image gives a very dark image.
> Scanning the entire original image, however, does not have this problem.
> I used as a test for this the glossy paper which came with the scanner and
> says on one side, "Choosing Canon was a smart move" and has a picture of a
> girl wearing an earphone, at the bottom left. Try zooming in on the girl
> and scanning an image which avoids all of the text. The colors are also a
> little bit off; the background comes out somewhat blue instead of white.

I'll check this. You might use gamma curves with factor 2.5 as the calibration
does currently not work with the canons...

> 4. I get the impression from reading the mailing list that there is a
> confusion about what is required for supporting a USB scanner vs. what is
> required for supporting a parallel port scanner. In my opinion, the
> instruction files and documentation for both USB and parport scanners
> should have big fat warning signs near the very beginning of the
> respective files. This would include at least the files Plustek-USB.txt
> and  /backends/plustek_driver/INSTALL.

You are right here. I'll change this.

> 5. I didn't try the buttons. Do they work, too?

No and currently not planned as it is quite not clear how SANE
will support this...

Gerhard