[sane-devel] HP Scanjet 2100c - trying to get started

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:33:14 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 10:50:06AM +0000, Steven King wrote:
> /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf says:
> 	/dev/usbscanner
> 	usb 03f0 0x505

I think it should look like this:

[usb]
device /dev/usbscanner

or

[usb] 0x3f0 0x505
device /dev/usbscanner

if your scanner device is /dev/usbscanner.

> /dev/usbscanner exists. It did have permissions rw-/---/--- but I have changed
> these to rw-/rw-/rw-

Probably /dev/usbscanner is a link to another file. The permissions of
the real file matter.

> If I type lsmod, I do not see the scanner (but I do see my keyboard, which is
> also a USB device).

So you should load the scanner driver (modprobe scanner). If the
scanner isn't found by sane-find-scanner after that, try
rmmod scanner; modprobe scanner vendor=0x3f0 product=0x505

> In /var/log/messages I get these seemingly USB-related lines:

[...]

> Oct 10 10:03:32 linux kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x3f0/0x505) is  not claimed by any active driver.

Yeah, but it should (by the scanner driver).

> Complication time! For a brief time yesterday, I seemed  to be getting a bit
> further than this (though xscanimage was still not believing in any
> scanners):
>
> Typing lsmod returned a line that said "usbcore 47264 1 [scanner hid usbkbd
> uhci]". The usbcore line is still there but "scanner" is no longer mentioned.

There should be also a line like
scanner                11648   0  (unused)

> When I typed sane-find-scanner it found "/dev/usb/scanner0" and
> "/dev/usbscanner". Also, I got messages in the konsole when I did that:
> "linux kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(x): unable to access minor data" ("x"
> was a digit; many such messages produced per run of sane-find-scanner).

That's ok. sane-find-scanner tries all your /dev/usbscanner? devices
and the kernel driver prints a warning when a device file is accessed
that doesn't belong to a scanner.