[sane-devel] SCSI Scanner attached to USB Port via Microtech

Bob Lockie bjlockie@lockie.ca
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 01:10:45 -0400

Mark Bucciarelli wrote:

>I have a HP ScanJet 5p scanner that is connected to a USB port via a Microtech
>USB/SCSI cable.  I can't figure out how to configure Sane so this will work
>and I would appreciate any guidance or pointers this list can offer.
>
>sane-find-scanner sees it.  The Microtech device shows up in the usb devices
>file.  The HP scanner shows up in the scsi devices file.  But scanimage can't see it.
>
>#scanimage -L
>No scanners were identified.
>#scanimage -d "hp:/dev/scanner"
>scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/scanner failed: Error during device I/O
>
>#sane-find-scanner
>sane-find-scanner: found SCSI processor "HP C5110A 3701" at device
>/dev/scanner
>sane-find-scanner: found SCSI processor "HP C5110A 3701" at device /dev/sg0
>sane-find-scanner: found SCSI processor "HP C5110A 3701" at device /dev/sga
>#cat /proc/scsi/scsi
>Attached devices:
>Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
>  Vendor: HP       Model: C5110A           Rev: 3701
>  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>  Vendor: TEAC     Model: CD-W224E         Rev: L.0C
>  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>#cat /etc/sane.d/hp.conf
>scsi HP C5110A Processor 0 00 05 00
>#cat /proc/usr/bus/usb/devices
>[snip]
>P:  Vendor=07af ProdID=0005 Rev= 1.00
>S:  Manufacturer=Microtech International, Inc.
>S:  Product=USB-SCSI-HD50
>[snip]
>
>I'm running RedHat 8.0, which includes scanimage 1.0.8.   Thank you.
>
>Mark

I don't know how the SCSI->USB cable works.
Maybe there is documentation on the web site.

What does your /etc/sane.d/hp.conf file say?
Create the /dev/scanner link youself.
Find out which SCSI device is your scanner.
I'm sure the SANE docs say to create that device.