[sane-devel] Re: [hpoj-devel] Patch to show existense of hpoj backend.

David Paschal paschal@rcsis.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:01:22 -0700

Jarl Friis wrote:
> I suggest the following patch to help sys-admins and package
> maintainers to use sane with the hpoj backend.
>
> I just read that code-freeze for 1.0.9 is today, so in lack of time
> before code-freeze I have not been able to test the patch, but as the
> change is only comments, it shouldn't be able to destroy anything.
> +#To use hpoj backend you must install hpoj (from hpoj.sf.net)
> +#hpoj
One problem with adding this is that the hpoj installation process
automatically adds an "hpoj" line, so you would end up with a possibly
confusing situation of two such lines, one commented out somewhere in the
middle and another not commented out at or near the end.  If it's done
right, a binary package (such as the hpoj packages in Mandrake 9.0) should
be able to do a similar thing, so this doesn't help all that much and
will cause a similar problem of confusion.  In any case, the hpoj
documentation explains how to modify this file if necessary, for
example, if the installation process doesn't do the right thing.

> If somebody is a autoconf-guru consider the following change to scripts:
> To make configure to take an argument '--with-hpoj' that will uncomment
> the hpoj backend line. This may help package creators even more.
I think this is more trouble than it's worth.  I'm trying to not have
too many functional linkages from SANE to hpoj, because that makes it
harder for me to make changes in hpoj.

> Further I suggest the SANE website maintainer to update the
> http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html
> to reflect the changes (to man-pages) announced by David Paschal in
> August, i.e. the existence of hpoj and recomend hpoj backend (opposed
> to hp backend) for certain HP multifunction devices, but that might
> already be planned with the release of 1.0.9.
That will happen automatically with the next SANE release.

David