[sane-devel] Scanner ARTEC e+

Michael Herder crapsite@gmx.net
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:27:55 +0200

antoine, Samstag, 19. Oktober 2002 20:08:
> > Is this the successor of the Artec E+ 48U, with an optical resolution of
> > 1200x2400 dpi, vid 0x05d8 pid 0x4004 ?
>
> YES !
>
> >modify the file
> > tevion9693usb.conf .
>
> I dowloaded the file "tevion9693usb-0.0.10.tar.gz"

You need a sane package too; the 1.0.9 snapshot might be a good choice.

> > Change the line
> > usb 0x05d8 0x4003
> > usb 0x05d8 0x4004
> > and edit the path to your firmware file (probably called "1200.usb" ?)
>
> In the  tevion9693usb.conf ?

Yes; copy the firmware file either from the installation CD or from the
windows drive to e.g. /usr/local/etc/sane.d/ or your homedir (just for
testing; or create /usr/local/share/sane/artec/ and copy it there) Just make
sure, that the file is world-readable; otherwise you can perhaps only scan as
root.
Btw, under windoze98 you can find the file under c:\windows\system32\drivers

> is it really dangerous and can break  the scanner ?

I know, that a *wrong* firmware can cause the scanner to move in the wrong
direction. I do *not* know, whether e.g. wrong motor flags can cause the same
behaviour (never happend with my scanner; I *think* it's not possible with
those GT6816 based scanners, but I might be wrong). I also can't tell you,
how long a scanner can stand this kind of torture. Maybe someone else can
tell you more ?

bb
Michael