Sane installed twice (was Re: [sane-devel] epson scanner driving me crazy)

Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:21:56 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 01:25:56PM +0000, Major A wrote:
> > I have added a test for sysconfdir = /usr/etc in configure. I think
> > that's the most common mistake. Other directories like
> > prefix=/opt/sane with sysconfdir=/opt/sane/etc would be intentional,
> > so no warning is printed in this case.
>
> Very good, but I have another idea that may be worth considering: the
> only "common" configurations are:
>
> - sysconfdir=$(prefix)/etc
> - sysconfdir=/etc
>
> I think that whenever SANE is configured with different sysconfdir
> settings, we should issue a warning.

But as $(prefix)/etc is default, a different setting means, that the
user used --sysconfdir explicitly. Why should we warn about that?
Maybe the user likes to have it in /opt/settings/sane.d/?

We could print something like:
Installation directories:
 libraries: ...
 binaries: .../bin and .../sbin