[sane-devel] Installation of Epson 1650 Scanner

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:53:10 -0500

--UHN/qo2QbUvPLonB

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 02:06:34PM -0500, John S. Dey wrote:
> Karl:
>=20
> (1) You were right -- the permission was "crw-------" but the owner was=
=20
> user.  When I change the permission to "crw-rw-rw" and set owner to=20
> "user.user" and logoff and logon again the values revert to "cwr-------"=
=20
> and "user.root".  RH does something or maybe Gnome.  I tried with=20
> another user account and observed the same behavior.

That's OK, something in our computer is changing the permissioins when
you log in. Therefore whoever is logged into the console has access
to the scanner.=20

Did you install RH 7.3 from scratch, or was this an update from 7.2?

>=20
> (2) After setting to "crw-rw-rw" and "user.user" and running xsane as=20
> before, the debug scan.log file now doesn't have the line "Send buf,=20
> Size=3D2" but ends with the line "[epson] attach failed: Access to=20
> resource has been denied"

This is odd, as long as you have rw access to the device, it should
behave the same way.

>=20
> (3) There were no messages printed to the console
>=20
> (4) I don't have another USB cable but I have a Win98 machine that did=20
> work with the scanner.  I will check out that this is still the case.  I=
=20
> plan to install RH 7.3 on that machine and I will run the experiments=20
> using it.
>=20
> (5)  I am currently running on a Compaq Presario 5000 with a USB keyboard.
>=20
> Thank you for your efforts and suggestions.  Any further thoughts will=20
> be greatly appreciated.

I am running out of ideas here. Let me give you once again the check list,
usually it's one of these points:

- Verify that you only have one set of configuration file / one version
of Sane installed.
- Verify that you have the correct configuration line in epson.conf
(very likely "usb /dev/usb/scanner0")
- Verify that you have read and write access to the device file
- Verify that the USB scanner driver is loaded (cat /proc/modules | grep sc=
anner)
- Verify that the scanner is recognized by the USB driver (cat=20
/proc/bus/usb/devices)
- Verify that you get the same results as root and as normal user.
- Connect the scanner directly to the computer and not via a hub.

Karl Heinz

--=20
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net
PGP Key at                 http://www.khk.net/download/khk.asc