[sane-devel] losing hair and sleep over this

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:18:13 -0500

--8NvZYKFJsRX2Djef

There is your problem: Nobody is commenting out the line - you have
very likely two of these files on your system, and probably two full
installations of Sane. This will always cause problems if you don't=20
know what you are doing. Remove one installation. You probably have
the original Red Hat 8 version (do rpm -q sane to find out which=20
version) and then the 1.0.5 that you intalled. Get rid of one and
keep only the newest version (if it's the one that you installed,
you should consider compiling and installing the just released 1.0.9)

Karl Heinz

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 05:06:12PM -0500, noah wrote:
> ok, here's the output. for some reason it seems to comment out the last l=
ine of epson.conf for me. i uncommented that, based on the assumption that =
that's the most likely device for the scanner to latch onto.
>=20
> > Some of us have to work during the day ...
> (sorry about that)
>=20
> thanks,
> noah
>=20
> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:55:12 -0500
> Karl Heinz Kremer <khk@khk.net> wrote:
>=20
> > Even if yo change the kernel and Sane, stuff like hotplug is still
> > the same.
> > From your other email I know that you are using Red Hat 8. I have no=20
> > experience with that, so I need somebody with experience to pitch in.
> >=20
> > The /proc/bus/usb/devices output shows that the scanner is recongized
> > by the driver, this is good.=20
> >=20
> > Can you please create a log file so that we can see what the EPSON
> > backend is doing (even though the problem is very likely not in
> > the backend, it's still important to see if it gets started at all):
> > Run the following commands in a terminal window:
> > export SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=3D128
> > scanimage > /tmp/scan.log 2>&1
> >=20
> > Please attach this to an email to me.