[sane-devel] [ANN] Viceo 0.6 driver release for SANE 1.0.9

Steven Ellis pinguellis@yahoo.co.uk
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:41:10 -0800 (PST)

--- Henning Meier-Geinitz <henning@meier-geinitz.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:55:39PM -0800, Steven
> Ellis wrote:
> > This driver supports the E3 and E4 family of chips
> > which covers a variety of USB scanners from
> Genius,
> > Primax, and IBM. Details are on the website below
> >
> > http://viceo.orcon.net.nz
> >
> > NOTE the change of website as the ISP has locked
> me
> > out of the old website so I can't update the old
> > pages.
>
> Ok, I'll update PROJECTS in CVS.

Great

> > 3. Now includes intial cut at manual page and desc
> > file.
>
> Well, if the .desc actually included the scanners,
> it would make sense
> to add it to CVS :-)

I'll start adding the scanners in for a 0.6.1 release.
I managed to get a working cut last night and I wanted
to get it out for more people to try. 0.5 was
basically a heap of junk and I admit it.

> > 1. Migrate to libusb so I can avoid the extra
> kernek
> > scanner patch.
>
> If possible, please try to use sanei_usb. I had only
> a quick look at
> the kernel patch: are these READ/WRITE_REGISTER in
> kernel really
> necessary? Can't they be done in user space by using
> kernel USB
> control messages? The IOCTL_GET_VERSION may still be
> a problem,
> though.

I'll try and take a look at all of this. I didn't
develop the initial version of all this code and to be
honest i'm not entirely sure what it is upto. I hope
to use sanei_usb and tidy things up.

Also want to tidy the actual files. I was thinking of
initially renaming all the required files viceo_* as
at the moment there is just a big blob of files added
which look a mess.

Also need to look at the memory leaks and fix up some
gamma problems. Ho Hum

Steve

=====
--
If you listen very carefully you can sometimes hear the dolphins sing

pinguellis@yahoo.co.uk