Sane installed twice (was Re: [sane-devel] epson scanner driving me crazy)

Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:21:53 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 03:24:18PM +0000, Major A wrote:
> > But as $(prefix)/etc is default, a different setting means, that the
> > user used --sysconfdir explicitly. Why should we warn about that?
> > Maybe the user likes to have it in /opt/settings/sane.d/?
> >
> > We could print something like:
> > Installation directories:
> >  libraries: ...
> >  binaries: .../bin and .../sbin
> >  configuration: ...
> >  man pages: ...
>
> Very good idea, no warning necessary.

I need some help from sh/bash experts: How can I print the paths and
have all the variables expanded/substituted? Example:
  echo "Configuration files: " ${sysconfdir}
results in:
  Configuration files:  ${prefix}/etc
I would like to see "/usr/local/etc".

To work-around that, I can use eval, like that:
  echo "Configuration files: " `eval echo ${sysconfdir}`

Works for $sysconfdir but not for e.g. libdir, because there is one
more level of sustitution.

Any ideas?