[sane-devel] Scanner Daemon ??

Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:27:11 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 10:43:08AM +0000, Nick Lindsell wrote:
> 	I'm building a kiosk-based system that takes a scan, adds some text
> converts to postscript and then prints. The frontend calls scanadf to do the
> scan - problem is it runs too slow (about 1 minute per scan).
>
> 	I've found that the delay is caused by scanadf waiting for the
> 	scanner lamp
> to warm up every time it starts and when scanadf exits the scanner lamp
> goes off.
> Applications like Xsane keep the lamp lit while the app is open so
> subsequent
> scans are immediate but I need command-line.

Maybe it's easier to change the epson backend to not shut off the lamp
in sane_close. E.g. by adding an option "keep-lamp-on" or similar.
I've done that in the gt68xx backend. If the lamp warm-up is done
automatically, that means, if the change of brightness is meassured,
you should be done. Otherwise you must disable the fixed warm-up time,
too (if this is possible).