[sane-devel] where to put firmware files?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Sat Oct 5 17:54:17 BST 2002

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> I wouldn't do that because that means forcing the user to rename the
> firmware files. It's confusing enough to find the correct one, extract
> it from some Windows installer file and copy it to the correct
> location. I would like to keep at least the filename.
>
> I think the directory approach (e.g. sane/umax) is ok. The backend
> itsself knows which firmware is relevant for which scanner so that's
> ok.

Another idea: One could perhaps even put some mechanism/tool into SANE
which extracts firmware files from Windows driver CDs or from Windows
driver packages provided on the internet automatically by using
"cabextract" (http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/cabextract.php3) and "unzip" to
browse the packages and to extract the files and adding the names and
paths of the needed firmware files in the driver packages and also the
names and the URLs of the driver packages in a database included in the
sane-backends package. Then a scanner setup program could ask the user
for the Windows driver CD or download from the web and then the firmware
will be copied onto the user's hard disk so that SANE can upload it when
initializing the scanner.

    Till