[sane-devel] xsane as normal user

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Oct 12 19:08:32 BST 2002

Hi,

On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 07:51:51PM +0000, Riccardo Ferraro wrote:
> I have SUSE 8.0 and an Epson Perfection 1660.
> Trying to work whith xsane or xscanimage:
> no problems when I login as root. If I log in as normal
> user I get "No device installed" or something like that.

Set up the permissions correctly. see man sane-usb. To find out which
file's permissions you need to change, run sane-find-scanner. The easy
way: chmod a+rw /deb/usb/scanner0 (or whatever device). Only good for
systems with only one user.

> If, as normal user I type "su" then root password and
> try xsane or xscanimage I get:

Not needed if permissions are set up correctly and not a SANE issue,
but...

> Xlib:connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

"cp /home/username/.Xauthority ~/" is one way to avoid that message.

> Gtk-WARNING ** cannot open display :: 0.0

export DISPLAY=:0.0.