[sane-devel] No Sane Device Found

Major A andras at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 22 07:01:51 BST 2002

> >I don't have any scanner or camera.  Since it's stated in Sane
> > documents that i don't have
> >to own a scanner or camera to play with sane.  I did follow the
> > instruction to fetch and unpack the
> >compressed tar file, then follow the instructions in README. But
> > when i try to execute this command
> >
> >scanimage --list-devices but the no Sane device found.
>
> As you stated, you don't have any sane compatible devices.  Like
> Tiger and the commercial, "you were expecting Igor?" :-)

Actually, the SANE documentation refers to the PNM backend here. It
allows you to test any SANE frontend without actually having a
scanner. It is, however, disabled by default, for security
reasons. You have to supply the "--enable-pnm-backend" switch to
./configure when you build the backends in order to enable it.

Security problems only arise when you use this build of SANE as saned
(network daemon), so don't worry about it for the moment.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras at users.sourceforge.net
    www:    http://andras.webhop.org/