Sane installed twice (was Re: [sane-devel] epson scanner driving me crazy)

Major A andras at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 30 12:49:14 GMT 2002

> I need some help from sh/bash experts: How can I print the paths and
> have all the variables expanded/substituted? Example:
>   echo "Configuration files: " ${sysconfdir}
> results in:
>   Configuration files:  ${prefix}/etc
> I would like to see "/usr/local/etc".

Grrr, I've had that problem before, I can't remember what I did to
solve it -- I probably didn't.

I have a suggestion though: why not create a file install-info.sh.in
or similar which contains simple echo statements? This would then be
m4-ed by the configure script and all paths substituted by m4 (thus
eliminating the deep reference problem). When the configure script
finishes its work, it simply executes the file install-info.sh which
has just been created.

The file could also just contain the actual text that is printed, and
configure could just cat it. That would be better because it would
make the file human-readable, so one can easily look up where things
have gone from this source tree.

  Andras

Major Andras
    e-mail: andras at users.sourceforge.net