[sane-devel] UMAX Astra 1200S/Linux-2.4.19 Freeze

David Ronis ronis@onsager.chem.mcgill.ca
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:47:22 -0400

I'm an occasional scanner user, recently using sane-1.0.6/xsane-0.80,
on an i686-Linux-gnu box.  I have an Umax Astra 1200S scanner and use
the aha152x module to drive my SCSI card.  I've had this configuration
(modulo software upgrades for years) and no hardware has been changed.

Yesterday, I tried scanning in something to fax (I used lineart).  The
preview looked fine, but somehow the resulting (postscript) file was
corrupted, in that part of the scan was missing.  When I switched to
grayscale or color (again the previews were fine) the scan started,
after a few seconds, the scanner made a funny noise and the scan
stopped; a few seconds later the system locked up.  On reboot, there
were a large number of doubly allocated inodes (I'd never seen fsck
run some of the subchecks before).

I'd upgraded Linux from 2.4.18->2.4.19 since the last time I'd used
the scanner, and figured that the problem might be with buffer-size
declarations in some of the header files.  Accordingly, I rebuilt
(using gcc-2.95.3) sane-1.0.8/xsane-0.87.  I get identical behavior.

Help.

David