[sane-devel] Mustek Bearpaw 1200 CU and SANE ...

Alexander S A Kjeldaas astor@midten.trd.fast.no
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:11:07 +0200

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 07:55:01PM +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 05:26:38PM +0000, William Gallafent wrote:
> > I've been becoming quite confused while I try to work out what the
> > most appropriate backend is for this scanner, if any.
>
> I don't think there is a backend yet. All I now about it is summarized
> at my website:
>
> http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/scanners.html#GT68XX
>
> > >From /proc/bus/usb/devices:
> >
> > P:  Vendor=05d8 ProdID=4002 Rev= 1.00
> >
> > I think that this is therefore a gt6801-based scanner, for which there
> > isn't a SANE backend at all ... but I might be wrong.
>
> True. Some people got some code running, but not a fully functional
> backend.
>
> There is also code from Mustek, but that's a stand-alone program. I
> haven't tested that one yet.

I have tested it and it works quite well.  They have released source
for the stand-alone program except for a gt68x-library that talks to
the scanner.  I would think that Mustek doesn't own that library.
They also include some gtk-based software that gives you a GUI, and a
panel application that I haven't tried yet.  One problem with the
binary-only library though is that it relies on a kernel patch which
uses the same ioctl numbers (69 and 70) in the scanner kernel module
that is already used for some other scanner.

astor