[sane-devel] Re: RE: Epson 1650 USB SUSE 7.3

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:22:26 -0400

On Monday 09 September 2002 12:56, D Thomas wrote:
>Karl Heinz--
>
>Thanks for the leads, but I continue to get a "No sane devices
> available" error when I try to use the scanner. I have removed
> the soft link (scanner -> usbscanner), and I have changed the
> rights of usbscanner to 666.
>
>One thing I notice is that when I log in to my workstation as a
> user, /dev/usbscanner is listed as belonging to that user and
> owner -- not "root". Is this normal?
>
>I'm about ready to give up on this approach, and simply expect
> that if I want to use my scanner, I'll have to do it from
> Window$. This sane stuff is driving me IN-sane.
>
>David

David, can you send us a few lines, those that report the detection,
from your /\var/log/dmesg file?

And have you added the vendor/model numbers in the list contained in
linux/drivers/usb/scanner.h and recompiled the kernel?  Or, added
an alias with those numbers in /etc/modules.conf?  I prefer to do
it the former way as that means everything is properly detected and
recorded in dmesg for later reference if a problem arises.

I note that this addition to scanner.h has already been done for
this scanner, using 0x04b8 and 0x0110, is this not correct as shown
in dmesg?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M