[sane-devel] Re: RE: Epson 1650 USB SUSE 7.3

khk@khk.net khk@khk.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 07:03:26 -0400 (EDT)

>> I'm about ready to give up on this approach, and simply expect that if
>> I want to use my scanner, I'll have to do it from Window$. This sane
>> stuff is driving me IN-sane.
>
> If it's that bad, consider upgrading to SuSE 8.0. This scanner gave me
> one of the best hardware experiences ever: plug in and go. (This
> device-ID problem was not an issue, but I am in New Zealand, perhaps the
> scanners sold here are a little different?)

No, AFAIK EPSON is selling only one hardware configuration. They did
have two or three in the past (Europe, Americas, Asia), but with all
the recent models, they are only shipping one model with one version
of the firmware. But it's certainly possible that they shipped different
firmware versions over time.

> Linux-USB has a somewhat bad reputation, I have trouble with my USB
> printer locking up 90% through a 3EUR-ink-job. Buggy USB software. It is
> entirely possible that the newer kernel of 8.0 has better USB
> support. You could just install the 8.0 kernel if you don't want to
> upgrade the whole way, it's 1 wget and 1 rpm -Uvh. Beats using M$ for
> scanning...

I have two EPSON printers, one is connected via USB and works great, the
other one is connected via the parallel port because USB always killed
the job after about half a page ... I have not tested this with the
SuSE 8.0 and USB, as long as I have a parport I don't intend to change
this.

One more thing you may want to look at is upgrading Sane. I don't remember
which version was shipped with SuSE 7.3, but it's possible that a newer
version has better support for the Perfection 1650.

> Can you test that scanner with a different USB cable on a different
> Linux box, to exclude hardware issues?

Also, if your scanner is connected via a USB hub, take out the hub and
connect it directly to the computer.

Karl Heinz