[sane-devel] Re: RE: Epson 1650 USB SUSE 7.3

Reinhard Max max@suse.de
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:26:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 at 08:37, Gene Heskett wrote:

> I'm convinced that older via chipsets are buggier than a 10 day old
> carcass in August. (northern hemisphere of course).  Thats not
> saying that there haven't been fixes in the linux kernel usb
> handling because there have been, but that in some cases, only a
> mobo change is going to really fix a usb scanner problem.

I also have had weird USB problems with my scanner, USB headset, and
webcam on a VIA Apollo MVP3 with Linux-2.4.19. But a recent
(pre-)patch from the Linux USB project seems to have fixed it.
Hopefully it will make it into 2.4.20...

As our local USB expert told me, the problem is that USB in general is
so broken, that always only half of the devices work. So if you fix
things for one piece of hardware, another one stops working :(

cu
	Reinhard