[sane-devel] Any more backends to include before SANE 1.0.9 release?

Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:03:07 +0200

[Cc'ed to sane-devel and the authors of the mentioned backends]

Hi developers,

Are there any backends that should be included into SANE 1.0.9?

TODO currently lists:

    - hp4200 http://hp4200-backend.sourceforge.net/
    - Genius Vivid Pro USB, Colorado USB 19200, Visioneer OneTouch 7600
      IBM IdeaScan 2000 USB
      http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/stevenel/scanner/
    - Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 3300C / 3400C and 4300C (wip)
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/hp3300backend

I haven't heard much about the first one for long time now. The viceo
backend uses c++ and it's license situation is unclear. I don't think
we can include it therefore.

I intend to remove both from the TODO list if there aren't any news
about them.

But we should add a .desc file for the viceo backend so it's listed on
the website. I would be happy if the backend author can provide one
(see doc/descriptions-external/ and doc/descriptions.txt of current
CVS) or at least sends a list of scanners and their status (stable,
beta, alpha, untested, unsupported). Thanks.

What about the last one (niash backend)?

Any other backends that should go in?

Any backend that doesn't harm other scanners, backends or compilation
can go in if it follows the guidelines (doc/backend-writing.txt).
There is no need to be perfect, alpha quality is enough.