[sane-devel] Scanner buttons (kind of RFC)

Matto Marjanovic maddog@mir.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:16:13 -0400

 >I've lost a little bit track of what you've already discussed, but as a user,
 >what I would think is a nice feature is when I can take a bunch of papers,
 >sit beside the scanner and only need to press the scanner button each time,
 >without grabbing mouse, clicking here and there... Last time I tried this I
 >didn't find a way to do it...

I'm not saying that you can do this today, but...

Couldn't this be implemented as an ADF-like feature of a backend?

A backend for a scanner with a handy button could have a "multiple pages
 via the button" mode.  In that mode, upon receiving sane_start() it waits
 for the user to press the button before starting the scan.  Trivial!

Only problem is that I don't think there is any way in SANE1 for the backend
 to specify that it has an ADF (real or virtual).  So this scheme would only
 work for the scanadf frontend, which just assumes that an ADF is available.
 (But, that's still extremely handy for scanning a lot of pages.)

-matt m.