[sane-devel] sane_get_parameters / sample depth

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:36:09 +0200

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to improve the sane "glue layer" from PIL (Python
Imaging Library). One of things missing there is support for other
sample depths than 8. While it's obvious how to implement support for
line art, I'm become more and more puzzled, if support for other sample
depths than 1, 8 and 16 is required. We had a discussion about this some
time ago, but I must admit that I'm too lazy to scan through the mail
archive in order to get answers to my question...

Could somebody give me a clue about the possible sample depths?

Abel

PS: Next question, if a program/library calling the Sane API must
support other pixel depths than 1/8/16: How is the data aligned within a
word / byte? E.g., for sample depth 3, will the possible values be 0, 1,
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 0, 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 224 ?