[sane-devel] Re: My scanner is not yet supported :-(

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:37:26 -0400

On Sunday 29 September 2002 10:38, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:
>Hi,
>
>this scanner is in fact a parallelport device which maps its port
>via parallel-to-usb brigde to the USB bus...

What would be the chances that thing is a usb device internally, and
that the usb<->parallel adaptor is in fact a seperate item that
could be bypassed by a knowledgeable bit of hacking?

>As I do not have the protocol for the bridge, I do not plan to
> support these devices... The same applies to the Plustek U12
> (product ID 0x0001), from the technical point of view the two
> scanner are identical...

In terms of operating speed, Mario would be far better off to go
trade it back for the usb model, and I'd recommend that route if
the dealer is amenable and wants a happy customer.  I'd assume that
wherever Mario is, there is also a 1260u available.

>Sorry
>  Gerhard

Me too.

--