[sane-devel] Gradually increasing scan times

Karl O. Pinc kop@meme.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:15:30 -0500

On 2003.04.14 03:27 Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 01:36:41AM -0500, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
> > >Could you run scanimage or xsane or another frontend with the
> > >environment variables SANEI_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 and
> > >SANE_DEBUG_HP=255? Perhaps this will give us a clue, what is going
> on.
> >
> > I get no output, unless it's writing some log file somewhere I don't
>
> > know
> > about.
>
> The debug output goes to stderr. And it's quite unusual to diable the
> debug messages. On the other hand, it's a very old package...
>
> > Apparently, the rpm I installed does not have debugging enabled.
> > (And this is the one I can't recompile. :(  )
>
> To make sure, try:
>
> SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 scanimage -L
>
> If this doesn't pront anything, debugging is disabled.

That was very helpful.  Turns out that many of the backend librarires
did not have softlinks to the *.so.1 from the *.so.1.0.11 files.

Rpms from contrib.redhat.com:

[kop@mofo kop]$ rpm -qa | grep sane
sane-frontends-1.0.10-1
xsane-0.90-1
xsane-gimp-0.82-3.1
sane-backends-1.0.11-1

> > [root@mofo xsane]# ( export SANEI_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255; export
> > SANE_DEBUG_HP=255; scanimage -d hp:/dev/sg3 | xloadimage stdin )
>
> SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255, not SANEI_DEBUG. But the HP one is correct.

So, now this hangs the box.  It looks like the modem still works but X
is
hung along with the keyboard and mouse.  I get 1 character from the
keyboard
when on a virtual console and then nothing after that.

I'm inclined to let it lie at this point and just declare my scanner
broken
because I don't have more time to mess with it.   Maybe upgrading all
the
software to a newer disto release with fix things.  (Later.)

Thanks for all the help

Karl <kop@meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein