[sane-devel] Artec 1236USB

Theodore Kilgore kilgota@banach.math.auburn.edu
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:27:59 -0500 (CDT)

Henning,

A friend of mine has an Artec 1236USB which we are trying to set up. The
vendor/product number is 0x05d8 0x4001. I thought it used a GT chip, and
indeed the Windows side of my friend's machine did install the
gt68xx(something).usb file and another, similar file in the winnt
directory.

However, when I could not get it to work easily I started to search
around. I have found on the web page about the gt68xx status that
0x05d8 0x4002 comes in many disguises and is supported, but 0x05d8 0x4001
is "another chip." Searching further, I found a letter from Gerhard Jaeger
to sane-devel which says that Artec 1236 has an LM983x chip inside (more
or less like my Canon N670U that we all had so much fun with). So I tried
editing the /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf file to get scanimage -L to see the
scanner, but still no luck.

So I would say that I am looking for further guidance from those more
knowledgeable.  First, is this scanner really a GT68xx chip or an LM983x ?
What is the current level of knowledge about it?

I think I might be able to interest this guy in further testing.

The machine is running Slackware-9.0, with the "stock" sane package, which
is release 1.06. Kernel version is 2.4.20.

Incidentally, the same setup runs my Canon N670U quite nicely. Thanks for
all of the help over the last year!

Theodore Kilgore