[sane-devel] xinetd can't start saned

Joerg Napp joerg at lottasophie.de
Tue Apr 1 19:42:09 BST 2003

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

>>  muumipappa saned[5279]: process_request: (open) device_list[0] == 0
>
> That basically means that no device was detected but you tried to open a
> device anyway.
>
> Are the permissions set up correctly? Another reason may be that the
> sane backend is searching the as6edriver program in $PATH and that may
> not be set (or set differently) by xinetd.

In fact, that was the problem. as6edriver is located in /usr/local/bin and
could not be found by saned started by xinetd.
What I did is to set the path in the init script starting xinetd, so
xinetd inherits this path and passes it over to saned. Not knowing if this
is the most elegant solution, it works.

Thank you for your kind and quick relpy.

Jörg