[sane-devel] Gradually increasing scan times

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Mon Apr 14 07:36:41 BST 2003

On 2003.04.12 07:27 abel deuring wrote:
> Karl O. Pinc wrote:
>
>> So, I've installed the sane-backend and sane-frontend 1.0.11 (rpm
>> release 1)
>> rpms uploaded by T. Ribbrock to Redhat's site.  (I couldn't compile
>> them
>> without installing too many dependencies.)  And recompiled and
>> installed the
>> xsane 0.90 (rpm release 1) rpm.  (I couldn't install the binary
>> because of
>> dependencies.)  And now what's happening is that the scanner device
>> is
>> never found.  scanimage doesn't find the scanner either, but
>> sane-find-scanner
>> does.  Something overwrote my config file without telling me.  The
>> new
>> /etc/sane.d/hp.conf file (after my messing with it) is:
>>
>> /dev/sg3
>> scsi HP C2520A * * * * *
>>
>> sane-find-scanner says:
>> [root at mofo root]# sane-find-scanner found SCSI processor "HP C2520A
>> 3644" at /dev/sg3
>> found SCSI processor "HP C2520A 3644" at /dev/sgd
>>
>> /dev/sg3 has world read/write permissions.
>
> Could you run scanimage or xsane or another frontend with the
> environment variables SANEI_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255 and
> SANE_DEBUG_HP=255? Perhaps this will give us a clue, what is going on.

I get no output, unless it's writing some log file somewhere I don't
know
about.

Apparently, the rpm I installed does not have debugging enabled.
(And this is the one I can't recompile. :(  )

[root at mofo xsane]# ( export SANEI_DEBUG_SANEI_SCSI=255; export
SANE_DEBUG_HP=255; scanimage -d hp:/dev/sg3 | xloadimage stdin )
scanimage: open of device hp:/dev/sg3 failed: Invalid argument
stdin: unknown or unsupported image type
[root at mofo xsane]# sane-find-scanner
found SCSI processor "HP C2520A 3644" at /dev/sg3
found SCSI processor "HP C2520A 3644" at /dev/sgd
   # Your SCSI scanner was detected. It may or may not be supported by
SANE. Try
   # scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

   # No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make
sure that
   # you have loaded a driver for your USB host controller and have
installed a
   # kernel scanner module.

   # Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
can't be
   # detected by this program.

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein