[sane-devel] Last call for new backends

Thomas Soumarmon soumarmt at nerim.net
Tue Apr 15 07:31:40 BST 2003

The hp5400 backend works ok with sane 1.0.11. The main functionality it
misses, is the 2400 dpi scan. We have not been working on it for one month
due to lack a of spare time.

SANE API
I did not follow the changes that were made to the SANE API, if they exist, so
I don't know what the behaviour of the backend could be with 1.0.12

Transport protocol
The last point I think of is that the communication with the scanner is made
only through ioctl() function. To be SANE compliant, I suppose it would need
to have more options than this one. I suppose this should not be a lot of
work, but it is still too much for my own agenda.

If someone would have time to integrate it into sane, it would be nice.
Integration would consist in :
* port hp5400 Makefile into SANE compilation structure
* verify hp5400 API is correct for SANE
* support of others transport protocol

The latest source code is accessible via cvs at sourceforge :
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hp5400backend login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/hp5400backend co
hp5400/hp5400

I would be very pleased if someone would help us for the integration of the
hp5400 backend.

Thank you,

Thomas.