[sane-devel] Current TODO list

gerard klaver gerard@gkall.hobby.nl
01 Aug 2003 20:05:45 +0000

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 14:10, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 01:54:57PM +0200, Stefan Schlörholz wrote:
> > what about general support for .icm profile generation and usgae?
>
> There was some discussion on this list about color management, e.g.:
> http://www.mostang.com/pipermail/sane-devel/2002-August/015083.html
>
> > An aquire module for these .icm files using a reference target (Kodak
> > Q-60E3 or IT8.7) would be nice so that you can calibrate yout scanner
> >
> > Maybe together with monitor profile you can aquire an image from the
> > scanner and directly get the proper result for your scanner/monitor
> > combintion.
> >
> > Since I have no clue about programming and CVS I have to go through
> > email
>
> Well, it looks like it's not important enough for the developers as
> nothing has been implemented yet :-)
>
> I personally don't know much about color management and this kind of
> calibration. Do we need support for that in the backends and or the
> API at all? I thought it's necessary to create the .icm files with
> each individual scanner. So e.g. if you have two scanners (exactly
> same model) they may vary, because e.g. gain/offset is different
> because of slightly different sensitivity of the CCD/CIS.
>
> I'll add an entry in the TODO list but more input would be appreciated.
>
> Bye,
>   Henning

A start could be to collect default icc profiles from the various
scanners (sane backend or a seperatie libray package) and if present
some .cgt files (package lprof).

 This .cgt file is generated with qtMeasurments and is an inputfile for
qtScannerProfiles to generate a .icc file. When this file is present a
user can make a .icc file with some different parameters.
I don't know if .cgt files are used or generated by other programs?

Structure profile directory could be:
backend name/scanner module name/.icc and .cgt files

Stucture filename
scanner modelnr.-profilenr.-versionr.extension

In the header of the cgt file some information can be placed and can be
viewed withfor exampe vim.
A linux viewer for an .icc profile not yet found.

The use of a default .icc profile for each scanner can result in better
scan results. For the best result a user has to make his own .icc files
with an reference target.

For a example of a .cgt file see gkall.hobby.nl/notes3.html

For some other collect .icm (icc) lists see for example the next link:
http://www.littlecms.com/iphoto/profiles.htm

--
m.vr.gr.