[sane-devel] SANE2

Sun, 3 Aug 2003 02:37:40 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:45:08PM +0100, Major A wrote:
> > It seems to me that if nothing happens on the SANE2 front (eg development),
> > SANE2 will stay a mirage. A well documented illusion.
> > A lot of people have given some input, but if the proposal isn't
> > implemented, why care?
>
> Good point, Frank. The bad thing is that SANE1 and SANE2 are mostly
> incompatible, so it's currently quite difficult to write a SANE2
> frontend because there no suitable backends, and vice versa.

The first thing I'll do when I think SANE2 is sufficiantly ready is to
port the test backend to SANE 2 :-)

> It just occurred to me that we could make a shortcut: create a
> metabackend that converts from SANE1 to SANE2, and one for the other
> way round. All that would be needed is an appropriate directory
> structure in CVS, and we could have SANE1 and SANE2 running
> concurrently.

A meta backend for connecting a SANE 2 frontend to a SANE 1 backend is
necessary anyway. I hope nobody intends to port all the old seldomly
used SANE 1 backends to SANE 2 (e.g. qcam). If anybody does that with
an unmaintained backend, he'll be its maintainer for lifetime, I
promise :-)

I don't think the other way round makes sense. In fact, I don't think
it's possible at all.