[sane-devel] Scanning negatives with Epson Perferction 1260 Photo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett@verizon.net
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 01:54:27 -0400

Olaf, this message is bouncing from zen.epkowa.co.jp, no such site it
says.  But I'll assume the ml now has 2 copies :(

On Sunday 03 August 2003 21:55, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:55:13AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I just tried yesterday to make and install iscan-1.5.2, and I
>> think I've fixed the .dll and the epkowa files in sane.d, but
>> neither xsane, sane-find-scanner nor scan-image -L shows it.
>>
>> Suggestions appreciated, other than boiling my head :)
>
>Hi Gene,
>
>First and foremost question: what does `iscan` say?  Does it find
> your scanner?

'iscan' by itself from a cli doesn't return anything within a minute
or so.  The scanner does move ever so slightly, but the lamp doesn't
come on, and I eventually ctrl-c'd it.

>Looks like you compiled your own from the tarball.

Yes.

>  Where did you
>install the backend?

/usr/local/bin/iscan

The epkowa.conf was installed in /usr/local/etc/sane.d, after modding
it for usb rather than parport.

All backends appear to be installed in /usr/local/lib/sane, and the
epkowa stuff looks like this in there:
[root@coyote root]# ls -l /usr/local/lib/sane/*-epkowa.*
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       376302 Aug  1 07:08
/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.a
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          822 Aug  1 07:08
/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.la
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Aug  1 07:08
/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so -> libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.6
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Aug  1 07:08
/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1 -> libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.6
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       262660 Aug  1 07:08
/usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1.0.6

Are those perms correct?

>  It had better where all the other backends are
>installed or you need to fiddle with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  When testing
>during development, I routinely install somewhere below $HOME and
> then run iscan after exporting that variable (just setting it on
> the command line does not work).
>So let's say I
>
>  $ ./configure --prefix=/home/olaf/tmp/iscan
>  $ make
>  $ make install	# installing in $HOME, no need for root!
>
>then I need to
>
>  $ export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/olaf/tmp/iscan/lib/sane:/home/olaf/tmp/iscan/
>lib
>
>before iscan (or any other frontend for that matter) can find the
>backend.  All other sane backends on my system are in /usr/lib/sane
>which is where they are for most of the more common distributions.
># SCO UnitedLinux is an exception ...

Humm, from the cli, "xsane" leaves this behind:
[root@coyote root]# xsane
[epson] Could not find "libesint1F.so".

But
[root@coyote root]# locate ibesint1F.so
/usr/local/lib/libesint1F.so.1.0.0
/usr/local/lib/libesint1F.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libesint1F.so
/usr/src/iscan-1.5.2/esint1F/libesint1F.so
/[root@coyote root]# ls -l `locate libesint1F`

Wrapping that up in an ls -l shows
[root@coyote root]# ls -l `locate libesint1F`
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Aug  1 07:08
/usr/local/lib/libesint1F.so -> libesint1F.so.1.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Aug  1 07:08
/usr/local/lib/libesint1F.so.1 -> libesint1F.so.1.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       470129 Aug  1 07:08
/usr/local/lib/libesint1F.so.1.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       159836 Jan 21  2003
/usr/src/iscan-1.5.0/esint1F/libesint1F.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 1000     1000       470129 Jun 23 05:34
/usr/src/iscan-1.5.2/esint1F/libesint1F.so

and an echo of LD_LIBRARY_PATH as exported by that same shell is:
[root@coyote root]# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/sane:/root/kde3.1.1/lib:(repeat last
path entry about 10x times, no idea why)

>BTW, 1.5.3 is out and there are even packages for gcc-3.x systems.
> I seem to remember you griping about their absence ;-}

Humm, that I did. 1.5.2 is the first one that would actually build for
me, all earlier ones died on the pisa stuff in the gui.  But that was
after the libs were built, so a make install would put enough stuff
in that xsane could find it and use it ok back at one of the earlier
sane versions.

>If you install from RPM the %post (postinst for you Debian fans)
> takes care of the required modifications and iscan should work
> out-of-the-box on most systems and distributions with SCSI and USB
> scanners.  You do need access to the device of course.
># The RPM spec file is in the SRPM (will be added to the tarball).

I did that(installed the object rpms), but then recalled that since
sane is built from tarballs, then iscan should be too & tried to have
rpm rip it out, but rpm gave me a weird malloc fail error like maybe
its rebuilddb time.  So I just fired that off for grins as thats the
second time I seen that error recently.  Amanda will probably
complain :)

>Some semi-random thoughts:
>
>  Does `grep epkowa /etc/sane.d/dll.conf` show an uncommented entry
> for epkowa?

Yes

>  What does your /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf look like?
--------------
root@coyote root]# cat /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
# epkowa.conf
#
# examples for how to configure the SANE EPSON KOWA Backend
#
# SCSI scanner:
# scsi EPSON
#
# Parallel port scanner:
#pio 0x278
#pio 0x378
#pio 0x3BC
#
# USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It
# could otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being
#               recognized.
usb
device /dev/usb/scanner0

>Hope that helps,

And I hope this is enough clues to name the perp. :-)

--
Cheers Olaf, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M