[sane-devel] Support for Mustek Paragon 600 II EP

James Perry jamesp@epcc.ed.ac.uk
Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:48:28 +0100

Hi everyone,

I have a Mustek Paragon 600 II EP scanner, which is not
yet supported by SANE. Recently I have been writing a
program to access it from Linux, reverse engineering the
Windows driver to discover the protocol. The program
mostly works now - it can scan a colour image of arbitrary
size at various resolutions (although the quality doesn't
seem to be as good as in Windows).

I'd like to add support for this scanner to one of the
SANE backends, and I wondered if anyone had advice. I've
looked at the SANE code, the 600 II EP protocol seems to
be almost identical to the 600 II N's, except the EP uses
a standard parallel port while the N uses its own special
interface. So I thought the best way to proceed might be
to use the same code in mustek.c for constructing the SCSI
commands and higher level stuff like that, and add some new
'sanei_' functions to access the 600 II EP at a low level,
maybe putting them in sanei_ab306.c? Or maybe it would be
better to put it in with the other parallel port code? Any
thoughts?

Thanks,
James