[sane-devel] lamp on Epson Perfection 1650 never turns off]

Mark O. Schlegel moschleg@erols.com
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:27:36 -0400

I'm using the xsane/sane that came with Red Hat 9 with my Perfection
1650. I seem to remember when I first installed RH 9 and used the
scanner that the bulb would eventually turn off to rest. Now it's
just running all the time I have power applied to the scanner.
Note that the scanner is working and I get good scans off it
the only problem is the bulb staying on.

I have all the entries except 'epson' commented out of the dll.conf
file and in my /etc/sane.d/epson.conf file I added:

option warmup    30
option lOffOnEnd 1
option lampOff   240

Figuring 4 minutes is ok to off the lamp (might be a bit long),
not too sure what warmup does, I guess that slowly ramps up
power to the bulb over 30 seconds. From what I've read, lampOff and
lOffOnEnd seem to be conflicting options, if you set lOffOnEnd to
1 (true), then closing xsane would do the sane_close which would
turn the bulb off immediately, so does that override the lampOff of
240 secs?

So my question is, is the above the way (epson.conf settings) to get the
bulb to switch off or not? I've also added the option line for the Epson
to the modules.conf file  (0x04b8 and 0x011):

options scanner vendor=0x04b8 product=0x0110
which doesn't affect the bulb issue I think.

thanks,
Mark